Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bananas--To Eat or Not to Eat


I just ate a banana (my peel is in the picture on the right); haven't had one in a while. Used to eat them all the time until I heard they were fattening. I decided to do some research.

Sweet and creamy (and self-contained)...more fun than a candy bar. Harvested throughout the year. The banana plant (same family as orchids and lilies) grows 10 to 26 feet with clusters of fruit (50 to 150 bananas). Bunches ("hands") have 10 to 25 bananas each). Most important info I gleaned: One of the best sources of potassium (essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function), each banana contains 467 mg of potassium on average, one mg of sodium.

A banana a day may:
1. Help prevent high blood pressure,
2. Protect against atherosclerosis.

Alas, just as I thought, they are fattening, so be aware. More info can be found in at the links that follow.
Kris Health Blog
Chris's Fat-burning Food and Fitness Blog
The World's Healthiest Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment